Subject: [Leica] Gigabit film as subsitute for medium format?
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:32:36 +0100

The idea is intriguing. Instead of buying or carrying medium format
cameras, lenses and enlargers you just pop in a roll of gigabit film
whenever you think you wilkl need the edge in quality. And with ASA 40
to 50 the film is in the same league as Velvia.

I really like the V35 because of AF and the 40mm lens which is good for
16x enlargement on the base board. For convenience and cost I do mainly
18x24cm (small trays, easy filing) and sometimes 30x40cm to put on the
wall. I don't like 20x25cm, 24x30cm, 40x50cm or 50x60cm, because with a
24x26mm negative, I would waste either too much negative area or too
much paper area. And Ilford's MGIV in 24x36cm is more expensive than
30x40cm.

Now Erwin says Gigabitfilm will not look significantly better than
conventional (and faster) film on 20x25cm or smaller prints. Beyond 10x
enlargement the 40mm Focotar would reach its limit. So what we can
expect, in simple words? In this context I remember Erwin's write-up on
ASA 100 films in a Leica. The conclusion was that this combo would come
close to Hasselblad MF.

Hans-Peter