Subject: [Leica] Re: 3200 Speed Film
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:31:01 -0800

>At 01:02 AM 11/15/2000 GMT, Dan S wrote:
>>You're right on about the high speed film fetish.  I guess there are times
>>for everything, but in 20+ years of available light photography I have never
>>needed film faster than 400asa.  It's frankly amazing to me that a
>>photographer who would dump so much into Leica lenses would even accept the
>>results of a 3200 speed film.

Well... you've been living on a different planet than the rest of us. All
of my colleagues and I find plenty of use for 800, 1200, 1600 ASA speeds
and fast lenses. This is an available darkness activity. When you are at
1/30th at f/1.4 on ISO 1600 film, you don't have a lot of incentive to use
400 film. You would be choosing between a sharp grainy photograph vs a
blurry less grainy photograph. It doesn't take rocket science to figure
this one out. During available light activities, everyone I know uses slow
film. ASA 50, 100, & 200.

Pretty simple concept.

Jim