Subject: Re: [Leica] Need help on sending camera back Solms for repair
From: Pascal <cyberdog@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:15:25 +0200

>My R8 bought used without passport and works very well. But, I found this
>R8 is draining battery power. The fact is from March to October now, I have
>changed 4 battery pairs for 28 rolls of 36 exposures film. That is average
>of 2 months battery life time for 7 rolls/pair of CR2 battery. I do'nt
>think this is normal.

no, this is definitely *not* normal.

>And I suspect this early produced R8 (sn:2416xxx)
>might also have bad circuit board which will cause problems when used with
>motor drive, also. This make me nervious to acquire a motor driver!

don't sweat, my R8 camera is also sn. 2416xxx and I have never had any
problem with it (admittedly, it's my second body that I received as a
replacement for a faulty one with sn. 2298xxx). I am using this R8 since
September 1997. When I was at the Leica Akademie in Solms in October
1998, I handed it over for a routine inspection (warranty), together with
motorwinder. They replaced a switch in the body and a contact on the
winder (had to do with the motor/winder contacts apparently, but I have
never had any complaints anyway). I am now using the R8 with the
motordrive, no problems whatsoever.

>Do you think I better do it as Horst's quide? Or am I doing something wrong
>which cause this problem?
>How long will I miss this R8? How much will I cost?
>Are most of these early lots of R8 need goback for CLA or repair?

Yes, you should definitely send it back to Solms for a complete check-up.
You are not doing anything wrong from what I read.
I have, at the beginning of this year, sent a lens directly from Belgium
to Solms for a minor adjustment, and it was fixed in two days. Together
with the return delay, the whole procedure took less than two weeks (due
to shipment back and forth). They were very competent and eager to help
and kept me informed via email of its arrival, repair and shipment back
to me.

Hope this helps,

Pascal

Visit my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace
<<< PGP public key available upon request >>>