Subject: Re: [Leica] Some history
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:06:57 GMT

A note on the historical argument between "pictorial" and "straight"
photography:

Some of the most vocal opponents of the "pictorial" style, including Ansel
Adams himself were guilty on regular occasion of falling into "pictorial"
technique.  Indeed the differences in these genres range from the obvious
(photographic representations of classic art scenes vs. photojournalism as
art) to the non-existent (Many of Adams "straight" shots were burned, dodged
and developed behond any resemblance of the actual scene)

The fact that the well known masters of both 'straight' and 'pictorial'
photography commonly created works that overlap the opposing genre leeds one
to believe that most of the distinctions were in the minds of the
photographers.

The VIEWER typically does not care at all about these distinctions.  To the
casual viewer the emotional impact of the final image is the determinate of
it's success.  To classify a type of photography (Leica 35mm or 8x10) or a
technique of any type as belonging only to one genre is not in the interest
of good photography or discussion.

Best wishes
Dan States
Madison WI