Subject: Re: [Leica] Hold it right there, or the Editor gets it
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:47:00 GMT

Only on the relatively small volume that they create, particularly in
comparison to the more "restrained" M lens selection.  By "exotic" I refer
to the APO 70-180, the Summicron 180 and especially the 35-70 F2.8.
Considering the large number of hours it takes to produce these great lenses
plus the relatively few sold they don't make NEARLY the cash that the good
old Summicron 35 and 50M's do...plus they take WAY MORE time and money to
develop. (especially compared to the 50m Summicron.  I'd say that that baby
must be pure cash after all these years)

If the R system was confined to the small number of focal lengths of the M
it would be much easier to generate profitable revenue.  Of course you could
never get away with an SLR system that starts at 21mm and ends at 135...

Don't get me wrong, I love my R lenses and Cameras, and I want Leica to do
whatever it takes to keep them coming.  If they can make cash with M3 shaped
commemorative blocks of cheese, well, more power to them!  The M6J, LHSA,
Black Paint, Sultan of Brunei etc all generate greate gobs of cash with
about as much r&d as falling off a log.  (the 0 series I am not so sure
about)

Best Wishes
Dan States
Madison WI