Subject: Re: [Leica] What do you think of Leica R Zooms?
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:32:28 GMT

Hi Vick, I have the 35-70f4.  I have found it to be superb.  Due to its high
contrast and very flat field it is extremely easy to focus despite the small
maximum aperture.

The contrast and sharpness of this lens will match the Summicron R50 from
f4.5-f16.  Flatness of field is far superior to the R50.  Distortion has not
been a problem as long as I keep under the 70mm setting.  At 70mm you would
not want to have very straight structures at the edge of the frame.  (still
nothing compared to the Nikon zooms I have used, plus I am a real stickler
for distortion)

Of all the lenses I have owned this one exhibits the most obvious "acutance"
effects.  Straight lines are rendered more precisely than with my Summicron
35m or 50R.  Back light flare is also better controlled than in those
lenses.

Plus, it has a macro range that has been useful for some corporate product
shot stuff I have done.

This is the lens that changed my mind about zooms.  Coupled with a good 100
speed black and white film and a good enlarger this lens can match the best
primes if you don't need wide apertures. (a big IF, granted)

Best wishes
Dan States
Madison WI