Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summaron
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:12:36 -0400

>  In August I was visiting a friend in Burlington, VT who
> pointed out an add in the local paper for a Leica with 35mm lens for $800.
> It turned out to be a young freelancer who wanted to sell it to get more
> modern gear. I bought the combo with right of return and spent a day
> shooting a test roll.The M3 was a DS model and seemed really smooth but the
> 35/3.5 Summaron lens had a stiff binding spot in the focus helical  so I
> returned the package to the seller. A week ago I got around to developing
> that Summaron test roll of TMX I shot back in Burlington. I was surprised
> how beautiful the images are with that lens. They have the"classic Leica
> glow" to a high degree. Also, the 35/3.5 Summaron is the most compact lens,
> I have ever used on a M body. Next time I get a chance at one I'll take it
> more seriously.
>
> Bill Lawlor

Yes the Summaron 35/3.5 is a very underrated lens, it is all the things you
mention in your post and more. A sample on my web site that has been blown
up to 20x24 successfully is at http://www.streetphoto.net/index-bigone3.html
I have now sold over 30 of these large prints and I use the 35/3.5 as much
as my Summilux 35/1.4.

Steve
Annapolis

http://www.streetphoto.net