Subject: Re: [Leica] There goes that Ilford again
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2000 07:09:03 -0700

On Mon, 16 October 2000, Mike Johnston wrote:

> This is the big problem with Ilford. At least Kodak--well, the old
> Kodak--realized that once photographers had learned a film, all they needed
> was a steady supply. With Ilford, unfortunately, loving one of their films
> means losing it someday, probably sooner rather than later.
>
> It's not the technical potential of a film that matters--it's that you as a
> photographer have mastered that potential. This requires an investment of
> time and hard work to gain experience. When a favored material disappears,
> it is a setback to working photographers.
>
> --Mike

This is off on a tangent somewhere - sorry, that's how my mind works - but in my browsings I've read of a photographer who was unwilling to plunge in to the digital darkroom because the workflow was dependant on particular products or technologies ...  but isn't wet darkroom workflow similarly constrained?  There must be dozens of us who have lamented the loss of a favorite film, developer, paper or process.  I know if Kodachrome were discontinued or if Leicaflex repairs were no longer available I'd be telling my tale of woe.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] There goes that Ilford again)