Subject: [Leica] There goes that Ilford again
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 07:17:09 -0500

> i've just shot my first roll of the new d. 400 - haven't had it processed
> yet. i was told by the ilford rep that the new stuff would push better, and
> have finer grain when pushed than the 'original' d 400. she said nothing
> about a grainier look when shot at 400.
>
> if the magazine is right, i too would ask, what is the advantage of a 'new
> & improved' d 400?

I can certainly tell you the disadvantage. The disadvantage is that it's not
the earlier stuff. Meaning, that any photographer who has standardized on
that film, dedicated him- or herself to learning it, and spent time and
money mastering how to print it, is s**t out of luck.

This is the big problem with Ilford. At least Kodak--well, the old
Kodak--realized that once photographers had learned a film, all they needed
was a steady supply. With Ilford, unfortunately, loving one of their films
means losing it someday, probably sooner rather than later.

It's not the technical potential of a film that matters--it's that you as a
photographer have mastered that potential. This requires an investment of
time and hard work to gain experience. When a favored material disappears,
it is a setback to working photographers.

- --Mike