Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R4 Opinions
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:36:47 +0100

Hi Thomas

The post 1,600,000 bodies are supposed to be bug free and may cost a
little more.  I have an R4 and its a fine camera, although electronic
and batt dependant.  The viewfinder is maybe a little cluttered for me
and the display requires good light conditions to be able to read it
properly.  Some repairers apparently refuse to work on the R4 and in
any case it may be cheaper to scrap and buy another than try to fix
these bodies.

I also have a Leicaflex SL Mot, the non Mot version sells for similar
price to an R4.  The SL is my favourite SLR body, it feels better in
my hands than the R, it has a brighter vf, it was a pure Leica design,
theyre simple and rugged as hell.

Do you need the extra features of the R?  If you can live with basic
manual metering and less accessories the SL is a worthy body to hang
Leica glass on.

 (Incidentally, the black chrome R4 often suffer from pitting of the
finish, something to do with the Zinc body, quite common and purely a
cosmetic problem, The SL's were brass so didnt suffer)

Jason Hall