Subject: Re: [Leica] aurora alerts for North America
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:01:09 +0100

> Jason,
> Impressive pictures!

Thanks Jem

The great thing about the sun and moon is you dont have to worry too
much about composition!

> 1 You get a lot more colour out of FP4+ than I ever can ;-)

Its amazing what you can do with a bottle of food colouring ;-)
Artistic licence!!

> 2 Did the moon photo get taken with a moving camera? I know were
often
> moved emotionally by our Leicas but I think you know what I mean.
I'd have
> thought that with Tech Pan, especially, the moon would have moved
across
> the negative during the image and blurred the picture.

Its not as sharp as I would have liked (though the print is better
than the scan) but yes the camera was on an RA declination clock
driven equatorial mount (or a 40KG tripod with a motor for non astro
nuts!!) I'm hopeless at keeping notes but I think I rated the Tech Pan
at 25, it was souped in Technidol, aperture F8, shutter speed probably
1/15th or 1/8th, it might just have worked at that shutter speed
without the drive, but at high magnification it would have been
borderline, its surprising how quickly the moon moves, or more
accurately - how quickly the earth spins

Im afraid there was no Leica involved, but only because I dont have an
R-T mount yet.

> behind a cloud at the time) it burnt a hole in my shutter blind
after I
> went to make a cup of tea!

I recently had a glass so called "solar filter" shatter, just after
taking my eye from the eyepiece.  Suffice to say I learnt my lesson!

Jason Hall

Replies: Reply from "Jem Kime" <jem.kime@cwcom.net> (Re: [Leica] aurora alerts for North America)