Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod quick release (was Erwin, photographic technique)
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:09:38 -0700

At 10:24 AM -0400 10/12/00, Steve Beyer wrote:
>Hi Christer,
>
>    I have found that the Arca style quick release system has worked great.
>Send for a catalog from Really Right Stuff for a superb plate made for Leica
>M's.  The web page is www.reallyrightstuff.com.
>
>Steve
>
>> From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
>> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:07:32 +0200
>> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>> Subject: [Leica] tripod quick release (was Erwin, photographic technique)
>>

>>> 6) When the great decisive moment happens while I'm out photographing the
>>> landscape, I can switch to  photojournalistic mode with the flip of a
>>>tripod
>>> quick-release!
>>>

>> Gary, please let us know what to look for when getting a tripod quick
>> release for  the M6.
>> Which brand do you use, and why?
>>
>> Chris

The Arca style stuff works fine. The problem is, that for an M it is
overkill. If you have a MF SLR, or a big 35 with lenses up to 600/4, then
it is eminently suitable, but to carry an Arca B-1 and the requisite plates
around with a Leica seems an overweight and overbulk solution. I have a
number of heavy, solid pieces to hold up various larger camera systems, but
for the Leicas I use a Cullman head that weighs 1/5 that of the Arca, and a
small Manfrotto QR system that has plates that I can grind down so that it
is no larger than the area that contacts my cameras. That, and a Gitzo 1228
tripod are well matched in carrying and stabilizing capacity. The Arca
system would add a number of pounds and subtract a lot of money.

But if you have a Pentax 67 with a 400 lens....:-)....

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com