Subject: [Leica] Re: tripod quick release (was Erwin, photographic technique)
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:45:09 -0700

Oh man, now that everybody knows I use a tripod, I have to admit how
"uncool" I am when it comes to the equipment (I've followed a few of the
threads and seen some of the fine tripods and heads people use).

I have a heavy-duty tripod for larger formats (unbranded $10 garage sale
find - not very cool either), but for the Leica I use a simple Slik U8000
which comes with the quick-release that attaches to the camera. I also have
the metal grip (not Leica brand), which gives me a solid tripod hole in the
middle of the camera baseplate. I also bought two extra Slik quick-release
plates. So one is always in the camera bag, another is in the tripod bag
(another garage sale find!) that I can carry over my shoulder, and the third
one floats around in case I misplace one of the other two.

 It's important to have extra quick-releases (extra cable releases, too),
since the tripod is useless without them. With the small Slik quick-release
on the Leica, the camera still fits in my camera bag OK, and I have used it
hand-held with the quick-release still attached without much fuss.

The U8000 tripod is lightweight but sturdy, only $40 -$50, and has served me
well over several years of use with the Leica M.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger