Subject: [Leica] Snapshots and tripods
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 19:49:04 -0500

>But what really pisses me off with some of these
> esoteric theorists is, that when they lay down their mantra that it's the only
> way to achieve photographic perfection.  I mean, that without question is bull
> shit,  when it comes to real picture taking!  Unless the only thing you shoot
> is
> rocks, ferns and non breathing things off a tripod. Hell, that even excludes
> grass blades waving in a breeze!

Ted,
You know, I dislike it when you won't speak your mind or tell us your
opinion. <s>

Seriously, of course there are times and places for a tripod, and playing
with sharpness is one of them. I certainly don't begrudge a tripod to anyone
who needs one or wants to use one. But I do agree with you that when that
familiar fascistic overtone creeps into the discussion--"you must use a
tripod to get sharp pictures"--it does seem like something to resist.
Spiritedly!

The funny thing is, an M Leica is, of course, not a tripod camera to the
manner born. Someone said something to the effect of, if you don't use a
tripod, you're only getting part of what you paid for (i.e., the resolving
power of the lens). But of course, what you paid for is a portable,
easy-to-manipulate camera that is designed--and is famous--for enabling
photographers to take quick snapshots (or grab shots, for those who consider
"snapshot" a perjorative) on the fly.

In my somewhat notorious diatribe against point-and-shoots in _PHOTO
Techniques_, I said something to the effect of, "the only time I want to use
an f/9 lens is when it's attached to an 8x10 camera." Well, similarly, the
only time I want to use a tripod (for the most part) is when it's connected
to something made of Japanese rosewood, brass, and leather. If one's work or
artistic concerns demand the frequent use of a tripod, I would think it
would do some good to consider a more appropriate camera. I think
Hasselblads make superb tripod cameras, for instance (most of them have
convenient mirror lock-up, it's easy to load film without taking the camera
off the tripod, and of course they've got that bigger negative).

It's interesting that several people are discussing gun-shooting and aiming
techniques in this thread. Sir John Herschel was the first to apply the term
"snapshot" to the taking of a photograph--previously, it was a shooting
term, from bird hunting--it referred to taking a quick shot guided mainly by
instinct and not carefully aimed, in the face of a sudden
opportunity--usually a bird rising suddenly nearby. The term itself came
from the sudden snapping-shut of the loaded shotgun as it was raised to
fire.

> I see it ran very well across the country and in Maclean's magazine also.
> Who'd of thought 32 years ago the  quick re-action to a subject's action
> would have such play these many years later.

So you're telling us you _didn't_ shoot it on a tripod? How _could_ you? <g>

- --Mike

Replies: Reply from "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com> ([Leica] Re: Snapshots and tripods)