Subject: [Leica] Re: Snapshots and tripods
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 20:26:35 -0700

From: Mike Johnston
> Seriously, of course there are times and places for a tripod, and playing
> with sharpness is one of them [and then talked about tripods with larger
formats]

Altho I have to agree with Mike about tripods for larger format cameras,
here is one case where a Leica and a tripod were a perfect match. On
December 31, 1999, I drove out the edge of the continental 48 states - Cape
Mendocino - to take the last sunset of the year (or of the
century/millennium, depending on how you count).

I set up the 4x5 for a great landscape shot looking northwest toward the
enormous cape with a dim sunset lighting the sky from my left. The wind was
blowing hard and the 4x5 shuddered in the blast. No way was I going to get a
shot with it. Out came the M6. Did you know what a low drag coefficient a
Leica has compared to a 4x5? I've never seen drag coefficient listed as a
selling point, but it saved the day out on the cape. I got a great shot with
the 21mm Elmarit, developed film and print that night, and displayed a
framed 16x20 Cibachrome of it about 15 hours later on Jan 1, 2000 for the
grand opening of our local Humboldt Art Center museum.

Couldn't have done it without a Leica and a tripod!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger