Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V18 #82
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 21:49:45 +0000

Greg Bicket wrote:
Went to the Really Right Stuff site this morning, and found an
interesting
quote:

>"Handholding is strictly for dead photographers:  A human pulse beat will
cause 200 microns (.008 inch) displacement for 1/10th of a second.
Assuming
a shutter speed of 1/250th of a second, this movement alone will cause a
loss of 22% of resolution  SNIP

Greg, of course, you just have to do it between heart beats.  Especially
so with hearts as big as Ted's and Tina's (I haven't met Filipo, but
we'll give him the benefit of the doubt, too).

I've read that article and it is true and all that, but some things are
just not possible under "ideal" circumstances and you just do your
best.  We all do in our jobs no matter what it is.

And also, like most things, practice makes better.  I remember applying
gun shooting skills to camera skills years ago, and learning how to make
the body a tripod.  I still do that and wonder at pros I see with their
focus hand over the lens, not under it in a cradle.

A while back I was shooting in a factory where everything was shaking,
even the cat walk I was on.  But I needed an overview and no they
weren't willing to shut down the plant.  So I shot at least a roll and
got a least a couple frames that look like tripod and a whole bunch that
went into the file under the light table.

If you are not careful, I'll give you my gyro lecture, and how to shoot
handheld at 1 second with pin sharp predictability.

If only Capa had had one on D-Day.....

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego