Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax digital
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 05:34:09 -0400

I don't know if this has been mentioned before here, but one thing about
N lenses is interesting.  While incompatible with previous Contax 35mm
lenses, there is an adaptor that allows the use of autofocus Zeiss
lenses for the medium format Contax 645 with the N.  Both mount systems
are complete electronic, and the adaptor preserves complete automatic
focus, metering, and aperture control.  So, if you already have a 645
system purchasing an N body for 35mm work will be very cost effective
(or rather, about as cost effective as cameras in the realm of
Leica/Contax/Zeiss get).

Here's something I have wondered.  There already are adaptor that allow
the mounting of Carl Zeiss Hasselblad lenses and Carl Zeiss Jena
Pentacon lenses (good and cheap) on the Contax 645.  No autofocus and
stop down metering only.  I don't see anything that would stop you from
using TWO adaptors on these lenses to mount them on the Contax N.