Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: What, me worry?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 07:47:57 +0000

Guy Bennett  wrote:
>why should any one care a fig for gates's money, how much he has, how much
>he loses, how much he has in relation to the lug, etc., etc., and so forth?

>in the world of finance, he is somebody. to those for whom money is not
?everything, he is just a person.  or have i missed something?

Guy,
	The way stock traditionally works in on commission.   Sell rights to a
photo for $100, photographer gets $50.  Sell for $5, photographer gets
$2.50.  And this kind of "loss leader" to buy the market has become
prevalent between Getty and Corbis.  Gates can absorb of the loss.  How
many photographers do you know who can afford to accept the $2.50
instead of $50?
	In fairness, I must say they do also negotiate image sales in the high
end as well. (Some of my images, by default due to mergers, are with
Getty, but I'm not holding my breath for a complete new R-system level
sale!.)
	Interestingly, both Corbis and Getty have developed a reputation for
such arrogance,  marginal service and difficult access to their files on
web sites that they have driven many customers back to the smaller
agencies with high standards of personal service, despite higher prices.
	So maybe there is justice.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego