Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing a video monitor
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:23:41 -0400

Roy-
You happen to be talking in my neighborhood!!
TVs, at least the NTSC standard here have a vertical sweep frequency of
about 15K, painting an interlaced pattern of odd and even lines on the
screen based on the AC current frequency of 60Hrz- so that the screen is
swept 60 times a second, or thirty frames a second- each being scanned
twice- once for the even lines and once for the odd numbered lines-
So, a shutter speed of 1/30 of a second or slower will prevent the 'dark
bars' from appearing.
IF you are where they use the PAL system, you need to figured the Frames
persecond to adjust your exposure. and if there is any variation in your
shutter speed, then test to see if it might be off at 1/30- but a 10%
variation should not be a problem.
Computer monitors on the other hand, are set to scan at various rates
depending on their resolution and have adjustable scan rates, but if you are
worried about regular TV, andy speed of 1/30 or slower will eliminate the
bars. The exposure too, is somewhere betweenthat of tungsten and daylight,
depending on the screen phosphors- a test is always a good idea!!!
Dan ( Been there, done that!) POst