Subject: Re: [Leica] R5, R-E
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 07:59:47 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

actually, Pascal's statement about the indestructable FM series is,
unfortunately, true....but only in comparison to the junk on the
market today....
When the FM series replaced the Nikkormats in the late seventies, it
was considered a somewhat flimsy camera by repair folks....I had the
(good/bad?) fortune to work in a repair shop, and knew a lot
of pros in the Houston, Tx. area....the FM/FE series was much
"lighter" built in the film wind/shutter cocking area, and the
counter....that ANY previous "pro" camera (compared to Nikkormat,
Canon F1/FTb, etc....we saw a lot of film transport/shutter problems,
particularly in the early ones...."pot" metal vs the beautifully
finished gears and cams of the previous generation....the little
MD-11 (immediately replaced with MD-12) was troublesome in some of the
 early units....
It's truly a shame, but by today's standards, the FM is a VERY well built
camera...I'd wonder about the build quality of the R6/6.2, the Contax
mechanical body (S2??) and the OM-3 if it's still made....I have NO experience
with any of these newer mechanical cameras...wonder if anyone else does?

Of course, collector aspects aside, I guess it'd probably cost over $2K
retail today to build and sell an updated Nikkormat FTN, or Canon FTb,
and I really wonder what a Contarex or a Nikon F or SP would cost....
Not the "boutique" S2, but a real, production camera.....I wonder if
any company could bring it in at the price of Leica?????  I bet
this Leica stuff would look CHEAP (in price) by comparison...and I don't
doubt that Leica is in the hole on MOST of their products....which is
a shame.....
We have learned to accept a much higher failure rate on many products
today...cars are an exception....I don't remember that far back,
but I wonder what the "five-year-failure" rate or whatever was on
these vintage cameras in the sixties....MTBF doesn't really apply,
because I believe that many of the modern day camera problems are
"infant" mortality.....

Enough rambline....just thinking out loud.  I'd love to hear from
a current repair person their opinions of what I've said.....maybe
all of it is BS....I just "feel" this way...

Walt