Subject: Re: [Leica] R5, R-E
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 06:47:51 +0800

on 6/10/00 6:49 PM, Pascal at cyberdog@attglobal.net wrote:

> The FM series are indestructable cameras. I've owned one for 15 years and
> it never let down on me once.
I used FM2ns professionally for over ten years and they all developed
shutter bounce and eventually needed complete new shutter units (one needed
two replacements). The motors introduce a noticeable time lag in shutter
release and jam frequently.

I understand your concern that Leica should offer an automatic SLR: I agree.
My point was simply that a good mechanical SLR with some more of the
qualities that made Leicas popular in the first place (i.e. small, light,
tough) would showcase their core strengths better than an electronically
rather retro automatic camera of more than average bulk and less than
average automation for a pro electronic camera. Besides who in their right
minds would collect any item that is totally dependent on microchips? :^)

Ideally Leica should IMHO have a fully mechanical, tough well-engineered and
modern M and R and at the same time a more automated alternative for each
system. The mechanical one would IMHO be a better showcase for Leica's
special advantages. I understand that this became the case for most
consumers with the R6.2 vs the R8 in any event, despite Solms efforts to
promote the R8 as flagship of the line.

The policy seems to be that the M complements the R in all sorts of ways but
this does not stand up to much scrutiny. I see, know and love the different
approaches of RF vs SLR viewing but there is no logic in the different
metering/automation setups, though I am I assure you more than aware of the
economic realities that bring this about in the case of our beloved co. in
Solms. For many years Leica failed to offer a mechanical SLR at all whilst
touting the mechanical nature of the Ms as a plus point: can't have it both
ways. If automation is good then why not offer it to the RF user who
wants/needs it and if it is not so good why fail to make it available to the
SLR user? The confusion in their philosophy has got to be one of the reasons
the R series languished whilst the M continues to sell relatively well IMHO.

Back to the FM - they are nice cameras and fairly reliable but not
indestructible and not as tough as EOS pro cameras or even the better Nikon
electronic cameras. They are also robot assembled and have loud and poorly
damped shutters relative to the Leica R series.

I would also agree that the FM is a more likeable camera than any of the Rs
in that it looks nicer: especially the black brassy ones!

Enjoy them all!

Rs

Adrian
- --