Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenses Old & New
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:43:19 -0400

Joe Sobel <Krechtz@aol.com> wrote:

> I have this same coated version of the lens [50mm LTM Elmar], from
> the same general period [mid to late '40s]. One final question - do you
> find that use of a lens hood is essential, and if so under what
> conditions? As you know, it can be a bit of a hassle to find the exact
> accessory or to use anything else, unless you never change aperture.

I have a push-on shade for the Elmar that I use only when the sun is out in
the open and I'm in its line of fire and I remember to put the shade on.
This means the odd shot has more flare than I'd like but I can accept this
in exchange for less hassle when changing the aperture. The LTM Elmar is a
funky lens in terms of operation, which is partly why I enjoy using it. It
takes me out of my standard way of doing things. I don't find it to be all
that prone to flare either (when used with care)...the earlier uncoated
version is no doubt worse in this respect.

- -Dave-