Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V18 #26
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:01:05 -0400

on 21/9/00 12:08 am, David Binder at owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
wrote:

> I really think that if all you are doing with digital imagery is
> squeezing out a gazillion shades of grey, then you are not having fun
> yet. Not that Jon Cone isn't doing an amazing job. It's just that you
> can do anything you want with an image in Photoshop, paint programs
> etc., without leaving the computer.

Isn't that precisely what is wrong with digital imaging?

> Negatives and chromes are _documents_.

I really like that analogy.

> Digital images are whatever you want to do with them. I can't help but
> wonder what goes on now in the coolscan digital world of government press in
> some parts of the globe.

If you are interested in that subject try Photo Fakery by Dino Brugioni
(ISBN 1-57488-166-3). It's short on understanding of some later photo
technology (seems to mix up APS and digital) and is very wrong about the
going prices of computer software (Photoshop is no longer 2,000 USD) but it
has some excellent, previously unpublished examples and you can't question
the guy's credentials (he was co-founder of the National Photo
Interpretation Center).

- --
David Prakel

dprakel@rochester.rr.com