Subject: [Leica] Tina's gift camera decision
From: "gbicket" <gbicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:41:35 -0400

Tina,

Your daughter demonstrates that a thoughtful photographic eye may be a
genetic gift.

My only suggestion would be to provide a camera that helps her really grasp
the shutter speed/aperture/film speed triangle in a way unbiased by anything
automatic.  Automation can conceal so much of the photographic processes
from a newcomer!  Perhaps a bit like learning multiplication and division
from a calculator!

It's one thing to learn these things firsthand and then maked informed
decisions about the use automatic exposure control in certain situations,
but when kids begin with automated cameras, the light control fundamentals
seem to escape them.  M4 might be a great way to start.

Non-automatic, mechanical for sure, whether the meter is on board or
hand-held.  My nephew is getting his arms around the light with an old Fuji
801, whose silicon blue cell meter, with LED readout is dead on, and
rubberized cloth shutter reasonably accurate,  25 years after I carried it.
He shows real promise, and is learning how shutter speed/aperture/film speed
work together, or against each other, in the wrong combinations.

Hope all the Manleys are enjoying the light.

Greg