Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: My Daughter's Web Site
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:50:24 -0400

on 21/9/00 12:08 am, Dan Cardish at owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

and at 02:07 PM 20-09-00 -0700, Brian Reid wrote:
>> Twice in my life I've bought a rangefinder camera for a teenager who was
>> learning photography, and both times I've regretted it. It didn't help them
>> learn to be better. These days I get a Nikon FM or a Pentax K1000 for such
>> purposes, and it works better. On the other hand, I gave my young nephew a
>> Rollei 35 and it changed his life.

I got my first camera - a Kodak Bantam ColorSnap 127 roll film - on my 9th
birthday. My father's ploy was to give me incrementally better cameras when
I came up again technical limitations or quality problems I could identify
and understand. I think I remember the order - Agfa Parat, lovely little
Minolta P&S, Pen D (half-frame wonder camera), Exa 500 with Domiplan lens,
Praktica with same Domiplan. At this point I was told to start using my
camera to make some money to improve my equipment. With some earnings from
shooting rock bands, wedding candids, school plays etc and birthday money I
had a Nikkormat FTn by my 14th birthday. The much longed for Micro Nikkor
came later as I was content to use a 50 f2 my Dad had picked from a batch of
lenses borrowed from our understanding camera shop - yes there were quality
differences.

Point being I had a far better camera than any other kid my age but I knew
why, I knew I had earned at least some of it, and I knew how to use it.

Today I teach photography as a volunteer to both adults and 5th-8th graders.
The kids use both Pentax IQEZY-R P&S cameras with 38-70 zooms on home
assignments and Pentax ZX-M manuals with Pentax 28-80 zooms on field trips
with us. There seem to be fewer focus problems with the SLRs. For those who
don't know it the ZX-M is a worthy successor to the K-1000 being a true
manual with DoF preview and built in motor drive (2fps).

- --
David Prakel

dprakel@rochester.rr.com