Subject: RE: [Leica] Features or basics
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 16:02:16 -0400

Utter and complete horse hooey! The post below sounds like nothing so much
as an America - Love It Or Leave It! diatribe from the Vietnam era.

Of course a camera is a tool for taking photographs. And of course the
bottom line is that a Leica M either is, or is not, the, or one of the tools
for you. HOWEVER....There is something grossly wrong with a company - read
management - that put's its effort into making copies of a 75-year-old
anachronism, rather than figure out how to get the damn flare out of the
rangefinder of a $2000 modern camera body it makes - especially when the
rangefinders of the earlier models of the M camera DIDN'T have the same
rangefinder flare. Nobody says Leica has to produce an M for shooting bob
sledding sequences. But to produce this Franklin Mint special and ignore the
real problems in the M - not the supposed needs for modernizations - the
damn imperfections in the present, otherwise sublime, mechanical rangefinder
camera is ridiculous.

I love Leica. I am going to stay and criticize it and not leave it.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Features or basics)