Subject: Re: [Leica] Features or basics
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 23:49:18 +0100

Who says they are ignoring the imperfections?  How do you know the .58 might
not be improved and have no flare?  Do you possess the secrets files on the
inner working and business and technical plans of Leica?  I think not, so
why not wait and see what they come up with?

Simon

B. D. Colen wrote:

SNIP:

But to produce this Franklin Mint special and ignore the
> real problems in the M - not the supposed needs for modernizations - the
> damn imperfections in the present, otherwise sublime, mechanical
rangefinder
> camera is ridiculous.
> >

> > There are currently a number of diatribes on this list and its companion
> > (the LEG) about the lack of features of M cameras, the price
> > level as it is
> > and compared to delivered engineering quality, the loss of manufacturing
> > quality as compared to previous models and so on. And of course
> > the elusive
> > topic of 'bad management' as "they' do not produce what 'we' want and
> > demand.
> > I have no intention to even try to start to argue about any of
> > these topics,
> > as this excercise in debating technique will end in a void, as past
> > experiences have clearly demonstrated.
> > Instead I wish to discuss these topics from another perspective, that is
> > shifting away from the focus of features or gadgets and concentrate on
> > results and satisfaction.
> > The primary argument for buying a (new) M body, in my view, is the
result
> > expected from this tool. You want to take photographs and you
> > select from a
> > vast range of products the m-body as you are convinced that this
> > camera has
> > the characteristics and means to deliver. After a while you look at the
> > pictures and you are satisfied. Fine. Period. You obviously do not need
> > additional features.  The tool occasionally lets you down? You have it
> > fixed. Another problem? You are obviously no longer satisfied and you
buy
> > another product. Why? Because the M does not deliver!
> > Now you are not satisfied with your pictures. Is it because your
> > talent and
> > technique lets you down? Do not blame the camera. Blame yourself and
> > improve! You are certain the lack of features (AF, AE, flare in
> > the finder,
> > inaccurate shutter) are the cause? Buy another camera with the
> > features you
> > need.
> > You are able to get as good a picture with Canon SLR AF etc and an M?
But