Subject: [Leica] Features or basics
From: imx <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:41:20 +0200

There are currently a number of diatribes on this list and its companion
(the LEG) about the lack of features of M cameras, the price level as it is
and compared to delivered engineering quality, the loss of manufacturing
quality as compared to previous models and so on. And of course the elusive
topic of 'bad management' as "they' do not produce what 'we' want and
demand.
I have no intention to even try to start to argue about any of these topics,
as this excercise in debating technique will end in a void, as past
experiences have clearly demonstrated.
Instead I wish to discuss these topics from another perspective, that is
shifting away from the focus of features or gadgets and concentrate on
results and satisfaction.
The primary argument for buying a (new) M body, in my view, is the result
expected from this tool. You want to take photographs and you select from a
vast range of products the m-body as you are convinced that this camera has
the characteristics and means to deliver. After a while you look at the
pictures and you are satisfied. Fine. Period. You obviously do not need
additional features.  The tool occasionally lets you down? You have it
fixed. Another problem? You are obviously no longer satisfied and you buy
another product. Why? Because the M does not deliver!
Now you are not satisfied with your pictures. Is it because your talent and
technique lets you down? Do not blame the camera. Blame yourself and
improve! You are certain the lack of features (AF, AE, flare in the finder,
inaccurate shutter) are the cause? Buy another camera with the features you
need.
You are able to get as good a picture with Canon SLR AF etc and an M? But
you like the mechanical feel of the M and are sensitive to its heritage and
tradition. Buy an M.
You assume Canon is the better deal. By all means, buy one and Be Satisfied.
You think that the current M 0.58 does not offer enough of what you need? Do
not buy it. But do not blame the management for producing it. Their goal may
be completely different from yours.
You think these guys in Solms are nuts because they offer a Null-series
instead of a M body with more electronics? Do you know their long term plans
and their market?
A Null-series camera is most obviously not targeted at the sports reporter
for the Olympics. It is for the person who wishes to rediscover the style of
photography of the early twenties and is fascinated by it. It makes sense to
manufacture a camera body that forces one to do some thinking before making
a picture. If that is your style of photography? No! Fine, than the
Null-series is not for you!
The lens of the Null-Series delivers performance that will challenge many
Leica users and the functions are very basic. Compare it to biking? Why buy
a Cannondale at $3000 and kill your body in trying to get over the hill
while doing all the work yourself, when a second hand Suzuki jeep for the
same price can do it without effort?
It is a matter of style, philosophy and approach!
The M and R systems have a set of advantages and disadvantages, which are
benificial or detrimental to your type of picture taking. Choose carefully
as the products are expensive. Too expensive for you: do not buy it. It is
as simple as this.
Reading all these diatribes, I must assume that those leica users are
dissatisfied and dissappointed users of leica equipment. Please: sell it and
buy products you really like!
I know the answer of course: consumers may and even have a duty in
delivering constructive comments and critique. Agreed. But what I see here
is not a comment on the products as they are, but a wish list of what leica
should try to develop, as seen by five or so individuals.
I wonder why some people assume Leica has no direction, no imagination  and
no plan and no feeling with their market, just because the company does not
produce a hexar with a red dot?
Maybe they are to clever to do just that!
The M 0.58 is a fine instrument for a number of photographers and the
Null-series is a fine product for persons who can and are willing to
rediscover and re-create the roots of photography. Both do not appeal to
you? Invest your money elsewhere!
Erwin