Subject: Re: [Leica] Value of test reports/Psychology of Leica owners
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 09:11:39 -0700

Dan S wrote:
> Few groups on earth have more trouble with buyers remorse than Leica owners,
> with the possible exception of Rolls Royce drivers.  We are a group of
> people who achieved our adolescent day-dreams too soon.  Once we have the
> thing we desired we spend the rest of our lives wondering why it did not
> bring instant and permanent gratification to our life.  Are we trying to
> convince others of the logic of a $2000.00 35mm lens, or ourselves.<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Dan,
I've always been re-morseful and withdrawn after buying any Leica gear
all my years. Regardless of how much it was.  Primarily because I'm
awful at spending money I don't have! ;-)  Isn't everyone?

When I go to the photo shop, see a lens I know I could use in my work
and even if my credit line of $20,000 is down $15,000 in the hole, at
least I figure "I got $5000. left, go for it."   What the hell, you'll
have $ 3000.00 left and only be $17,000 in the hole!

After all $15 or $17,000 isn't much difference , your in the hole either
way, might as well be happy with the new lens than frustrated not having
it and missing all those great images you believe you can capture with
it. :-)  Of course you all know this isn't quite true, just a mental
justification to ones self that it's OK to be purchasing stupid! :-)

The day after.....  guilt and remorse sets in, worry worry worry, how to
pay, how to pay for etc... Then I say to myself, "what the hell, it's
only money""  if all else fails and you can't generate enough income
from assignments to get you out of debt, then sell a bunch of gear and
get on with life doing the best you can with what you have!

But I never in all that crazy life style purchase/worry attitude, ever
thought about testing to justify being crazy enough to pop several or
many more thousands for a lens.   As that doesn't do one whit of good,
other than increase mental stress and guilt trip over buying it in the
first place.

But then to each his own. I just get them, use them, have fun with them,
sell the images from them .....and eventually pay for them with a profit
left over,  well Ok it may only be a few backs profit, but at least
they're paid for and I've stopped being guilty until the next one comes
along! :-)
ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant