Subject: [Leica] WAS: HCB's inspirational drivel NOW BOKEH again! aaack!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 07:07:31 -0700

Robert Appleby wrote:
> [...]
between the varieties of bokeh, the sharp parts of the picture are what
interest me most.
> After using the new aspherics for a while I really appreciate the difference between critical focus and zone focus - not the same thing at all. Of course, I could be wrong. Tell me I am.<<<<<<<<<<<

G'day Rob,
Not the least bit wrong at all. As it wasn't until this bokeh subject
appeared on the LUG screen did I have a clue about what it was and
although I now understand what they are talking .....to some little
degree.... I still don't give a whit of an ants a... to waste my time
getting sweaty knickers over it!

I mean, what is more important,  the subject and main point being in
focus, capturing the peak of action, the moment of reaction or having
the twitchys over what the hell all the out of focus area in the
background of a frame looks like?

I suppose rock and ferners need it to add excitement to the image as the
peeling paint is drying.  However, it's my strong impression that the
majority of photojournalists even think about the back ground
characteristics while concentrating on capturing the " decisive moment!"

Hell most of the time I prefer to shoot as close to wide open to have
the background out of focus and the main subject leaping off the screen
or page.

When the subject first broke water, I began looking at many of my
photographs from the past and what the bokeh did or didn't do for the
picture, and you know what?  To me it didn't mean diddly squat! So I
dismissed it from thought because it just broke my rule of "Keep it
Simple Stupid!"

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant