Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS; UV filter and 21mm now 15 mm!
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:47:39 -0700

Robert

>>Or even a $450 Cosina 15mm Super Wide Heliar, which has no filter thread
<<

Somewhat related to the topic of filters (UV and otherwise) and the 15mm
Heliar, yesterday evening I noticed some really strange illumination issues
in some negatives I just developed. I scanned about 8 rolls of film and the
issue existed in a couple of dozen images.  At first I thought I'd taken
the faulty shots with my 28/2.8 Elmarit R and a filter caused vignetting. I
use a 55mm B+W polorizer with step up ring. I've never had problems with
that in the past. After closer examination I realized the lens used was a
Heliar and the camera was my M6. It sort of looked like shutter bounce, but
I ruled that out.

The issue/problem is a very noticable darkening on the right and left
borders of the frame. It only occurred in photographs taken in bright
sunlight. Nearly identical photographs taken the day before under overcast
skies didn't show the problem. Perhaps it had to do with the aperture used.
I'm at a loss to understand the problem, but and I plan to get to the
bottom of the problem. Anyone else out there experience unusual light
fall-off with the 15mm Heliar?

Dave

PS I'm not ready to blame the Heliar, yet. I've used it a great deal and
I've never had problems before. I still need to do some research.

Replies: Reply from "GC Capital & Finance SA" <swissfin@worldcom.ch> (Re: [Leica] WAS; UV filter and 21mm now 15 mm!)