Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning Process
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:29:07 -0400

John,

Seriously, at least one leading lensmaker (Schneider, I'm told) uses good
old Windex (the original blue formula) and plain, white (unscented) facial
tissues.  A very small amount of Windex is applied to the tissue (NOT the
lens).   Very gently...in a spiral motion from the center outwards...wipe
the moistened tissue on the lens surface.  This is followed by gently
breathing on the lens and wiping it with a fresh tissue.  I wad the tissue
so that both pressure and oil from my fingertips do not impress the glass.
Any lint from the tissue can be blown off.

This method works better than ANYTHING I've tried in 35 years of pretty
serious photography.  I've never scratched a lens and I'm a fanatic about
lens cleanliness.  The (totally irrelevant) bonus is that enough lens
cleaning supplies for several years cost about three dollars!

Craig
Boston

Replies: Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning Process)
Message from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning Process)