Subject: [Leica] Re: Choosing a 50mm Summicron
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:49:55 -0500

Raimo

>>I just read the Popular Photography test of Konica Hexar RF and the
lenses for it - sad to say but the 50 mm Hexanon is sharper than 50 mm
Summicron. I have not had the opportunity to compare other test results as
yet.
Leica, take heed!<<

I might consider a 50 Hexagon as an alernative to a new 50/2 Summicron. The
question is, would I regret it down the road? When it comes to equipment,
I'm pretty conservative. The Leica name carries a great deal of weight in
my book.

I looked at the whole Hexar RF package (just as I did the Contax G1 & G2
when they appeared). I was impressed by the feel of the body and the
lenses. I still opted for a second M6. No regrets.

While impressive at first glance, the Hexar RF lacks a track record. I'm
cautious about gear that hasn't proven itself in the field.

The 50 Hexagon I tried out was a bit stiff to focus. I don't know if that's
something that would work its way out with a little use. Handling and
reliability are as important to me as is optical quality.  IMHO, the jury
is still out on the Hexar RF.

Dave

Replies: Reply from ottmar-x@t-online.de (Keith Bingman) (Re: [Leica] Re: Choosing a 50mm Summicron)