Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Choosing a 50mm Summicron
From: ottmar-x@t-online.de (Keith Bingman)
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:58:37 +0200

drodgers@nextlink.com wrote:

> Raimo
>
> >>I just read the Popular Photography test of Konica Hexar RF and the
> lenses for it - sad to say but the 50 mm Hexanon is sharper than 50 mm
> Summicron. I have not had the opportunity to compare other test results as
> yet.
> Leica, take heed!<<
>
> I might consider a 50 Hexagon as an alernative to a new 50/2 Summicron. The
> question is, would I regret it down the road? When it comes to equipment,
> I'm pretty conservative. The Leica name carries a great deal of weight in
> my book.
>
> I looked at the whole Hexar RF package (just as I did the Contax G1 & G2
> when they appeared). I was impressed by the feel of the body and the
> lenses. I still opted for a second M6. No regrets.
>
> While impressive at first glance, the Hexar RF lacks a track record. I'm
> cautious about gear that hasn't proven itself in the field.

Last week, much to my surprise I ended up with a Hexar. I went to dinner at a
freind's house who is a notiuous "collector" of cameras. He is not really a
collector, because he never keeps anything for long...

In any case, I gave him some old things sitting on my shelf (no, no Leicas...)
for his Hexar. I had been trying to get rid of those things for some time (not
so easy sometimes here in rural Germany), so for me it was a good trade. I
need a motor winder, but am in love with the M6. The winder doesn't really
interest me, so the Hexar fits the bill and the M6's stay as the are.

The viewfinder really is not as nice as the M6, but the overall feel of the
camera is great! I have had a blast using it this week and probably put more
film through it than my friend did in the three months he owned it.

As for the lens, it is very sharp. I don't have a summicron to cmpare it too,
but I hate to say, it may be sharper than my Elmar. I still like the Elmar
better.

All in all, I am glad I got it.

Keith Bingman
Riedheim, Germany