Subject: [Leica] Re: Choosing a 50mm Summicron
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:46:34 -0500

Jean-Claude,

>>I've used a 50 DR and the current Summicron. At medium apertures, there
is no
visible differences (I shoot slow films both in color and B&W) other than a
slight advantage in matter of contrast to the current model.<<

The 50 DR is the only "classic" lens that I still own. It still performs
remarkably well. However, having seen results from the latest 50/2
Summicron I'm inclined to think that lens is the finest f2 lens made, in
any focal length, past or present. I don't own one but (thanks to Mark
Rabiner who does) I've seen enlargements of 11 X 14 and greater that are
eye popping. So impressed was I that I'm considering trading in my 50/1.4 M
for a new 50/2.
Dave