Subject: [Leica] Re: Portrait Lens: 90mm or 135mm?
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:29:16 -0500

Tom:

>>I am also coming to prefer the 19 on the R8 with grid screen to the 21
ASPH on M6, not because of image quality but accuracy of framing.  Leica
should put cross-hairs on the  finder like the Hasselblad x-pan has on the
30mm finder.<<

I have a small circular bubble level that I used to roughly align my
enlargers. I used it on my M6 with 15/4.5 Heliar and 21/2.8 ASPH.  I was
surprised at how much (positive) difference it made; especially for
landscapes and architecture. Level is level and there doesn't seem to be
much room for error. I did an informal study where I compared  "eyeball"
with "bubble level". It seems to make more of a difference in some photos
than others; but there always seems to be a slight improvement with the
bubble level.

On the downside, the circular level method requires a tripod, since you
can't view and level at the same time. Ideally, I wish someone made a
viewfinder level, like that found on the Hasselblad SWC. However, I dread
thinking what a device like that would cost.

Dave