Subject: Re: [Leica] "Quick" DOF calculation
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:08:20 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/00 11:58:50 AM, deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk writes:

>Well, like I always say, street shooting is like jazz. The first time I
>listened to Charlie Parker it sounded like a mess and I didn't get it at
>all. You don't 'get it' that's fine, but that doesn't make it 'crap' (as
>the
>250+ subscribers to the streetphoto list tends to indicate)

Well, you also say (on your website) "At it's worst it's derivative
documentary, or
 simply incompetent." It sounds like we are in perfect agreement. Like all
photography, it seems like "street photography" ranges from truly inspired,
marvelous stuff to absolute horriffic. I guess I've just seen more of the
latter than the former . . . But having said that I sure wouldn't want people
to dismiss all photojournalism based on the terrible stuff that appears in a
lot of newspapers. As always I appreciate a good photograph no matter what
you call it. I guess I just have a prejudice that makes me roll my eyes
whenever I hear the term "street photography."

Bob (not really a crusader against the "street" approach) McEowen