Subject: Re: [Leica] Colour film
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2000 15:34:47 -0700

On Sun, 16 April 2000, Martin Howard wrote:

> I recently was fortunate enough to acquire a Leica R7 in fabulous condition
> at an even more fabulous price.  I have for some time been meaning to get an
> SLR to do colour photography (I use B&W exclusively in the Ms) but it's been
> such a long time since I used colour film, I suddenly find I have no clue
> what do use.
>
> Most of the time, I'll probably be scanning the images for web-page
> production.  Occasionally, I would like to get a (traditional chemical)
> print to send to someone, or to hang on a wall.
>
> I'm looking for something that has natural colours, smooth tonal rendition,
> and preferably one that holds detail both in shadows and highlights (except
> under extreme conditions).  I don't like the over-saturated look of many of
> the modern films that seems so popular today.  I'm looking for a more
> delicate, tender, and muted look.
>
> So, you guys who know colour stock, what would you recommend?  Neg or
> chrome?  Which films from which manufacturer match my descriptions above?
>
> M.
>
> --
> Martin Howard                     |
> Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
> email: howard.390@osu.edu         |

Martin,

Stay away from Velvia or E100VS!!  My personal favorites are the slower Kodachromes.  I'll use K25 when I can, but my tripod phobia drives me toward K64.  I also use K200 but it fails your smooth tonal rendition and shadow/highlight detail tests.  The slower kodachromesare much better in these respects, while producing very clean and natural colors.  They tend to lose highlight detail with any over-exposure.  I'd like to try Astia becuase I've read that it has lower contrast and holds highlight details better.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!