Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger or scanner?
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 15 Apr 2000 08:53:55 -0700

On Sat, 15 April 2000, Pascal wrote:

> > Crazy or not, a high-resolution scan of a good chrome or neg can be used to
> > make outstanding prints.
>
> Yes I can believe that, Doug, but the point is: who can afford to have a
> high-end printer such as the one you mentioned in his own house (apart from
> professional uses of course)? What amateur can invest such huge sums for a
> printer?
> You are certainly right one can get excellent imaging performance if an
> image is sent off to a professional processing service. But I don't believe
> this is the issue here.
> One should really compare what is comparable I believe.
>
> The whole point of the exercise with digital scanning/printing is that you
> can do this on your own desktop. Hence one should look at the available,
> affordable options for the "average" amateur in comparison to the
> traditional darkroom.
>
> I myself also have a digital workflow, scanning on a Nikon LS-2000,
> importing into Photoshop on my Macintosh, than printing on the Epson Stylus
> Photo 1200. While the results are quite good, I do not doubt that a
> well-made Cibachrome print of the same slide will be even of higher quality
> and, more important, will last longer.
>
> Digital printing still remains the main weakness of the digital workflow.
> The new Epson Stylus Photo series (870 and 1270) certainly go a step further
> towards the ideal, they are still not there yet. But it will come
> eventually, I don't doubt it.
> Until that moment arrives, I believe one is still better off with the
> traditional means if highest quality remains the objective.
>
> And one other point that hasn't been discussed on this issue yet, but which
> is also of much importance, is this: how long will your investment in a
> digital workflow (computer/slidescanner/printer) last in comparison to a
> decent darkroom equipment? Every two years on average you have a new
> generation of digital devices that dramatically increases performance
> (especially scanners and photo printers). Your ultimate cost will be a lot
> higher compared to darkroom equipment, if you consider the investments over
> a longer timeframe.
>
> Pascal
> NO ARCHIVE

Pascal,

you make some very good points.  If the discussion concerns printing entirely at home, the digital process has much to be desired, economy being a very big factor.  That's why I've chosen to pay for my scans (PhotoCD) so that I may get far better results than from equipment I can afford (and afford to replace over and over again), and have also chosen to pay someone else for the cost of operating, maintaining and amortizing a high-end printer, again producing far better quality than a printer I could justify.

Between the scan and the printer is a lot of work and in fact I give the lab a print-ready file; all they do is have the printer read it and play it out, so aside from the connection between the computer and the printer (cable vs. sneaker-net) there's little difference between having a printer at home and using the lab's printer.  It's a matter of how much one can justify spending, and of how much one wants to be involved in the process.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!