Subject: Re: [Leica] Film & Airport Security X-Ray Machines
From: Jeff Spirer <jeffs@hyperreal.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 13:15:28 -0800

At 03:08 PM 3/11/00 -0500, Robert Clark wrote:
>Hello everyone:
>Just bought some Ilford Delta 100 & 400, some T400CN, and a few rolls of
>Fujichrome and Kodachrome for my upcoming trip to Paris.  I have some
>international travel experience, but have only taken some basic Kodak
>100ASA film for snapshots.  Now that I'm trying to do more with my new
>Leica, I decided to be a little more serious about taking pictures while
>in Paris.  Should I be concerned about my film going through the metal
>detector in my camera bag?  How about exposed film in my camera or in
>the cartridge upon my return.  I understand that more than a few people
>remove the film from the boxes and containers, place it in a plastic
>bag, and ask for a visual inspection instead of sending it through the
>machine.  I'm thinking this is what I'll do on my way over and at the
>return gate at Charles de Gaulle with my exposed film.

Unlike airports in the US, CdG is not required to allow a hand inspection
on film.  My last time there (about a year ago), they made me put my film
through the detector.  This has been my experience in several other
countries in Europe, although inconsistently (I have been allowed and not
allowed hand searches at Madrid, for example.)

The only countries outside the US I have traveled and been allowed a hand
search at every airport I used are Mexico and Morocco.

The best way to guarantee no problems is by using Fed X to send the film to
and from the location.  However, you need to check that Fed X delivers its
own packages where you are going - I found out the hard way that Fed X does
not do its own delivery in Mexico south of Mexico City, and a package took
eight days (at overnight rates!) to reach Chiapas.  Shouldn't be a problem
in most of Europe.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.hyperreal.org/~jeffs/gallery.html
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/