Subject: RE: [Leica] for sale as a result of our studio going digital
From: "Peter Jon White" <PeterJonWhite@PeterWhiteCycles.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:22:58 -0500

> The high end audio market is a luxury market that is often
> noted for its
> cultist tendencies, and has no impact on the production of music.

Indeed. The $8,000 per foot speaker wire infestation is the funniest aspect
of this. None of the "true believers" are willing to participate in a double
blind test of this nonsense.

I went into a shop the other day to look at cd players. The salesman assured
me that I was wasting my money on the player if I didn't also get the $200
"interconnect" cables. We used to call these "phono" cables but I guess you
can't charge enough for "phono" cables. ;-)

I said I'd be happy to consider the cables if he would participate in a
quick test, a comparison between the $200 cables, and the cables that
shipped with the player. He would be required to tell me which cables were
being used. He responded that such tests created a tense atmosphere; not
conducive to hearing the qualitative differences among cables.

I smiled, and commented on how it would appear that the emperor was naked.
He didn't get it. I didn't buy it.

Peter Jon White
Peter White Cycles
666 Mass Ave
Acton, MA 01720
978 635 0969 Voice
978 929 9654 Fax
http://www.PeterWhiteCycles.com
mailto:Peter@PeterWhiteCycles.com

"Legislators and revolutionaries who promise equality and liberty at the
same time, are either psychopaths or mountebanks."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

http://www.antiwar.com
http://www.mises.org