Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica made in Germany
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 07:00:12 -0800

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:
><Snip>
> The APO-TELYT-M 3.4 135 MM lens on the other hand, has a sloppy feeling
> focusing mechanism and the diaphragm feels as if it had been made in some
> area just coming out of the stone age and the adjustment was just plain
> sloppy.
>
> This "made in Germany" label must really shame true German craftsmen who know
> true precision craftsmanship and know this is not reflective of their "made
> in Germany" work.
>
> Thanks Mikiro for confirming this problem.
>
> Don

I picked up my 135/F3.4 APO-Telyt-M over the counter here at Camera World in
Portland Oregon which is a 45 minutes walk from my house/studio but I forgot if
I walked that day. It was 13 months ago: February 1999.
I noticed quickly as I handled the lens at the counter deciding if I should buy
it or not that the F stops were loose. A lot looser than my other Leica M lenses.
And it was their only lens. They assured me if I didn't like it I could bring it
back in a couple of weeks or whatever.

I half thought that it was an easily corrected mistake, a screw that needed to
be tightened.
And I half thought that it might be on purpose, a new direction for Leica.
Perhaps I'd discover some funtionality to twirling F stops on the fly with my
pinky?! ...That little cursor of a small rectangle travels over the changing
landscape quite quickly. Your little LED's blink furiously trying to figure out
what's going on! A looser F-stop barrel makes it easier to keep those led's
centered in those quickly changing situations.
And at no time did it slip to the wrong F-stop as a result.
Next time I get my Leica stuff repaired I'll bring that lens in and I imagine
they will tighten it up for me.
By next time I mean first time because in seven years of Leica M shooting and I
do run some film I've never had one break and my other M6 body has taken some
hard falls. I watched the repair guy adjust my focus once and now I do it.
I'm sure there are plenty of Germans with monocles and riding crops whipping
those lazy good for nothing Portuguese into shape at the factory there in sunny Portugal!
Mark (time for a siesta) Rabiner
The quality of image that this 135/F3.4 APO-Telyt-M gives is phenomenal. This
really is a strong focal length for the M6! I find the little rectangle very usable!