Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica made in Germany
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:32:22 EST

In a message dated 3/9/00 6:03:49 AM Central Standard Time, arbos@silva.net
writes:

<<  am not an observant worshiper of "made in Germany" and prefer "made by
 Leica", although I know "made in Germany" still has special value to quite a
 few people.

 Cheers,

 Mikiro
 Strasbourg, Europe
 http://arbos.silva.net >>

A number of longtime Leica users had been suspicious of the "made in Germany"
label being slapped on "Leica" brand equipment because of the quality of the
merchandise that was tumbling from boxes marked "Made in Germany."  It is now
apparent those concerns were well founded.

This weekend I was shooting in a wild animal park that allows animals to
approach the vehicles with the M-3 and the new APO-TELYT-M 3.4 135 MM lens.
I found I was constantly having to check the diaphragm ring to be sure it was
still set at 5.6.  The slightest touch or rub against the clothing changed
the diaphragm setting.

Up return, I compared the APO-TELYT-M 3.4 135 MM lens with the Tele-Elmar
that I purchased in the mid-60's.  I almost wish I had not made the
comparison.  The old Tele-Elmar, after over 30 years of use still has a nice
tight focusing feel and the diaphragm requires a definite effort to move it
rather than a slight rub against the sleeve.

The APO-TELYT-M 3.4 135 MM lens on the other hand, has a sloppy feeling
focusing mechanism and the diaphragm feels as if it had been made in some
area just coming out of the stone age and the adjustment was just plain
sloppy.

This "made in Germany" label must really shame true German craftsmen who know
true precision craftsmanship and know this is not reflective of their "made
in Germany" work.

Thanks Mikiro for confirming this problem.

Don