Subject: [Leica] (apo)logic
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 14:47:45 +0100

Mike wrote the following message:
>Erwin,
>You provoked this, not me, as anyone who has followed the thread knows
>full well.

>Next time you want to talk about apochromatism, why not just leave me
>out of it? I'm sure people are interested in reading what you have to
>say all on your own, even when you are not employing me as a foil.

>- --Mike

Mike,
To set a few things in proper perspective: you (not me) made some
quite forceful statements about the apo-quality of enlarging lenses.
I did not say a word and did not provoke this issue.  What you
asserted seemed strange to me, but who am I? You are the editor of a
photographic techniques magazine, and so you have infinite more
resources and information that I have. You present yourself on this
list as the editor of Photo-Techniques and so I do assume that your
statements carry the weight of your professionalism. Now if you make
statements of a highly technical nature and I am wondering what are
your references to support this, I am entitled to ask you for an
explanation. Again: you provoked the issue, not me.
Your answer in fact boils down to a fragment of citation from a book
by Ray, which you claim to be the definitive source. My studies
indicate that the issue of apochromatic correction is not so simple
as to support these fragments from Ray. So I try to explain this to
the ones on this list who take an interest in this matter. If you
from the beginning had given the full picture about "apo" I would not
have jumped in. In all fairness: Mike, you provoked the whole story
by stating the discussion, you gave information I think needs some
counterpoint and now you are saying that I use you to talk about
"apo". The "apo" discussion we had on this forum some year ago with
Eric Welch and I gave my views then. As you know I never repeat my
stories on the Lug, and would not have dreamed to rewind this topic.
May I very humbly suggest that you stick to the facts in this case.
Fact one: you made remarks about apo. Fact two: I asked for an
explanation. Fact three: your explanation was insufficient to settle
the matter. Fact four: I gave my views. Fact five: you tell me I
provoked this and employed you as a foil.
Inference from these facts: if you given sound information from the
start the rest would not have taken place.
A recent X-files installment has Mulder waking up to go to his office
and on his way he goes to the bank, where a bank-robbery takes
place.He is brave as usual and tries to interfere. He gets killed.
Then he wakes up, goes to the bank and then remembers what happened
before. So he tries to act  differently, but gets killed again. He
wakes up a third time, goes to the bank and now acts so differently
that Sculley is being killed. He wakes up a fourth time and now he
goes to the root: now the the robber is killed.
You see the lesson Mike?

Erwin
Erwin