Subject: [Leica] Film Winding Again, (was BASic question)
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 02:45:32 -0500

Mike Durling wrote

"I was afraid that I wasn't being very clear.  It was late.  I've always
been
very careful to make sure that the film in the M4 was engaged by the
sprockets.  The problem I always had was that once the film tip was in the
takeup it would slip out when I wound the film.  I used to wind with the
bottom off and watch it very carefully.  It would often take several tries
to get it to seat properly.  Being VERY careful ususally helped.  Following
the advice of some on this list I dropped the film in and, after making
sure
the sprockets were lined up, I closed the bottom before winding.  So far I
have had better luck.  By now I know the sound of the film tip popping out
of the takeup.

I've been trying to figure out why it doesn't come loose when the bottom is
on but will when the bottom is off.  It almost seems like the theory that
the alligator won't bother you if you don't keep staring at it!"

Mike, if you look down the take up spool you will see a large diameter fine
wire spring. The purpose of this spring is to push the leader hard up
against the rotating basket fitted to the base of the camera. This ensures
that the film is aligned with the sprockets when the base is fitted. The
spring forces the film downwards with the base off and, whilst it is
possible to get the film moving with the base off it risks the film being
pushed down away from the sprockets if you are not very careful. It is also
a long winded and, in my experience, unnecessary chore, requiring 3 hands.
IME the only thing one needs the opening door for is to make sure the kink
in the film does not catch on the bottom of the top film rail. Pull the
film out as shown on the bottom of the camera, fit base, wind on twice and
away you go.
I know that the loading is different, maybe that is what I like about it ;)
but before I joined this list I did not realise it was ever a problem for
anybody. I am amazed. Auto load is common these days and all you need to do
is pull the right length of film out of the cassette and go. The M6 is just
as easy apart from the manual wind on bit. I find it the easyest of all the
non auto cameras I have used to load. (Leica screw, nikon rangefinder ,F,
F2, Olympus OM, Canon EOS, Leica SL2,R6).
It is one of the reasons I find the M6 a joy to use.
cheers Frank