Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V15 #79 / idiot
From: "Robert Appleby" <laintal@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:16:07 GMT

As Mark said:
>>>I read somewhere the original Greek definition of "Idiot" is "someone who
refuses to listen to the truth"
	has nothing to do with your SAT scores.
Of course there is no "Truth" in regards to if Eggelsworth is a good
photographer or not. No law says you have to like him. No law says it's bad
hate him. I like him. And He's one of the hardest photographers to rip off.
That's probably saying something!
Mark Rabiner

Mark
I always thought "idiot" came from the root meaning "self" (as in
"idiosyncrasy"). This would suggest that an idiot is someone who stands on
his own, in some sense, rather than accepting the standards of the
community. A German theology lecturer of my Grandfather's vintage (prewar)
always started his lecture series with the words "Ladies and gentleman,
Jesus Christ was an idiot! And anyone who knows so little Greek that he
finds this offensive is invited to leave the hall immediately."
So let's just accept that we're all idiots in some way - and a damn good
thing too!
Ciao,
Rob.