Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder flare and the M6
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 02:25:55 -0500

Doug Richardson wrote:-

To the best of my knowledge, the M5 was the first model to
depart from the M2/3/4 design of viewfinder/rangefinder and move to a
configuration similar to that of the M6.

Doug, sorry to not be able to help in your dilemma but the M3 has the
unique viewfinder. The device was simplified and cheapened for the M2
(originally the "budget" model), all subsequent M have the M2 type layout -
which IS surprisingly different. AFAIK the M5 differs only in the optics to
include the meter needle in the view.
FWIW my M6 (1985) has never been impossible to use though it is nowhere
near as nice as the M5. The M5 is IMHO the pinnacle of M engineering, if
not styling.
cheers Frank