Subject: [Leica] FS: 35 1.4 aspherical (1st ver)
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:56:33 -0500

Austin Franklin quoted:

"The first Summilux 35mm ASPH possessed two aspheric surfaces, polished
with the normal technology available. It had 9 elements and had a limited
production run of 2000 lenses at a price in 1990/91 that made Leica lovers
faint. In 1994 The second version has been inroduced, now as a normal
production lens. Still 9 lenselements, but a different design (different
surface and different technique, pressed). pressing is cheaper than
polishing, but the change from two to one surface has been explained by
Zeiss, who maintain that two aspherics generate more problems than they
solve. Leica now seems to agree.

So...either both Zeiss and Leica are lying, or the first version IS
optically inferior to the second version...."

Austin I have not read this quote. What I have read is that the 1st version
was originally announced as a series of 2000, later revised to 1000, and
that fewer than that were actually sold. I have one on my M6 most of the
time. I bought it used for about the same price (at the time) as the then
new 2nd version (asph instead of aspherical).
I have compared the two. I prefer the original.
I have heard the story that the cheaper version is better but they would
say that wouldn't they? The Zeiss quote that 2 aspherical surfaces are less
good than one is new to me. If Leica now believe it we had better wait for
the new tri-elmar with 1 rather than 2 aspherical surfaces;-)

Incidentally I have never seen the spelling lense before. You learn
something new every day.
Cheers Frank