Subject: Re: [Leica] Vienna, Austria info requested [on topic]
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:21:47 -0800

Mitch,

For something as old as a IIIf and a M3, you won't have any problems with US
customs coming back into the US---they're looking for new equipment
purchased overseas. And they don't look that hard for photographic equipment
these days, since it's generally cheaper in the US, not like the 1960's when
folks flocked to Hong Kong to stock up on gear at cheap prices.

A fine gringo smile should get you through Vienna customs.

But if you want to nail the issue down, leave some extra time on the day you
depart the US, seek out the Customs office at your departure airport, and
register your equipment there. This involves listing your equipment
(including serial numbers---you can't register anything that doesn't have a
serial number!) on a 4"x6" Customs form (4457 seems to be the current
version), then having an inspector verify your listing and stamp the form.
Carry the form with your passport, and don't lose it. It's proof that the
equipment was yours before you left the US. This isn't just for photographic
equipment; a few years back, I bought a new Seiko watch just before a trip,
and registered it before I left to avoid any questions about it when I flew
home.

Expect some bad noise in Austria over the US/EU diplomatic hassles re:
Haider taking power there.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.