Subject: [Leica] Transitions in Photography
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:34:56 -0800

Doug Herr wrote:

>>from R to SL<<

It's interesting that you mention this. I like the feel of my older SL, but
I rarely use it.  I'm using SLRs more primarily because of auto metering. I
have an R7, and I like it. However, it seems a bit small with my 80-200/4.
The R8 (which I don't own but have used) has a much nicer feel. I plan to
buy an R8.

There are times when I like using smaller bodies. But I'll use an M or a
P&S. I use zooms and longer lenses on an SLR. The lens size and weight is
already a factor, so there's not much benefit to using a smaller body?

I think mechanical improvement in the newer Leica R lenses is more
significant than any optical improvement. Have you tried focusing a new 180
or 80-200? Smooth as silk! For manual focusing, nothing else comes close.

Dave